Tour Code: ZTC-058
Bird watching tours
Duration: 10 days/9nights
• Day 01: Arrival at Addis Ababa Bole International Air port.Meet and greet you Zelalem Tours representative at exit of luggage claim and transfer you to the hotel. Overnight stay in the Jupiter hotel.
• Day 02: City tour in Addis Ababa.Addis Ababa is the third highest capital of the world on an altitude of 2300-2500 m. with a pleasant climate and a background of green with eucalyptus trees covered mountains. The city is founded in 1886 by Emperor Menelik II and Queen Taitu. Visit Entoto Mountains, with very nice view over the capital, the National/Ethnographic museum, St George church and the Merkato, biggest open air market in Africa. Overnight stay in the Jupiter hotel.
• Day 03:Excursion to Menegesha Suba forest.Menagesha National forest was the first known subject of an official conservation policy in Africa. Since the 16th century this forest is protected by the government. It is found near to Addis Ababa in the dense forested mountains. This forest is a paradise for birds and different endemic species such as the globally threatened White-winged fluff tail, Yellow-fronted parrot, Abyssinian Woodpecker and Abyssinian catbird. Wildlife is abundant - gureza monkey, the endemic Menelik's bushbuck, baboon, common duiker, and serval. Late in afternoon drive back to Addis Ababa. Overnight stay in the Jupiter hotel.
• Day 04: Drive to Jemma valley and drive back to Ethio-Gremany lodge.Jemma Valley escarpment (upper Nile valley) is to spot the endemic and range restricted Harwood’s Francolin and many other birds; Egyptian Vulture, White-billed Starling, White-winged cliff chat, Tacazze sunbird, Abyssinian Woodpecker, Banded Barbet and so much. Overnight stay in Ethio-German Lodge nearby the so called Portuguese Bridge.
• Day 05: Drive to Debre Brehan – Ankober.Today you drive to Debre Brehan while en route make birding you have spot Pectoral-patch Cisticola, Eralanger’s Lark. On arrival in Ankober you will spot the rarest and endemic Ankober serin feeding in the highland grass fields and you can spot other birds such as Yellow-crowned Canary, Alpin Swifts, Lammergeyer and Augur Buzzard. Overnight stay in Ankober Palace Lodge.
• Day 06: Stay on more day in Ankober looking for endemic Ankober serin. Walk the around Ankober escarpment and road to rift valley looking for specially endemic and range restricted to this area are the Ankober Serin and other interesting species of birds of prey. Overnight stay in Ankober Palace Lodge.
• Day 07: Drive to Awash National Park via Aliu Amba.The Park and its surrounding area are very important for birds; the total number of species recorded now exceeds 460; there is a population of two globally threatened and restricted range species. Overnight stay in Awash Falls Lodge.
• Day 08: One more birding in Awash National Park In the thick acacia forest you will spot Red-winged Lark, Helmeted Guinea fowl, Blue-napped Mouse bird, Kori Bustard, Red-winged Lark, Yellow-billed kite, Yellow-necked Francolin and Grey Hornbill. Overnight stay in Awash Falls Lodge.
• Day 09: Drive to Sodore.The hot springs resort of Sodore, situated at an altitude of 1,700m, stretches for about 1km on the banks of the Awash River about 25km south of Nazret. The riverine forest on the banks the river offers an excellent spot for birding. Walks in the surrounding countryside afford views of the vervet monkey and baboon, as well as crocodile, hippo, and a wealth of bird life. Overnight stay in Wabe Shebel hotel.
• Day 10: Drive back to Addis Ababa Drive back to Addis Ababa 50km before Addis Ababa visit the Crater Lakes of Bishoftu, and visit aquatic birds. Birds expected to see include Little Bee-eaer, Black-billed barbet, African Paradise flycatcher, Masked weaver, Little Grebe, and large numbers of Weavers, Seed-eaters, Thrushes, Doves and Sunbirds. You will make a last day shopping in Merkato or in the numerous souvenir shops near Churchill road, to visit art galleries. Late in afternoon have a fare-well dinner then check in for flight back home.